Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Nitrocellulose lacquer over an oil?

On Jul 12, 12:56 pm, "Swingman" wrote:

You need to write a book, Robert. AAMOF, I've got so many of your posts saved, it would probably write itself.

I'd buy the first copy ... like clamps, you can't have too many Charlie Self
around here anyway.

Wow... thanks! That's very flattering coming from a cabinet maker of
your caliber. Don't get me started... I might post more!

Actually, I think I have said it before, but I didn't want to learn
much about finishing. But long ago, I laughed pretty hard when the
best finisher I knew told me to "never trust a finisher that isn't an
alcoholic".

How prophetic.

Maybe it's the fumes.

When I had enough, I got after the learning curve, and realized it is
every bit as much as science or art as anything else. I have said it
before, good finishing is easy, great finishing is a long curve.
Something to strive for. It is always just a little bit of trip into
the unknown.

Now it appeals to the "wonk" side of me. I really enjoy learning
about new techniques (and old!) and new finishes.

Anyway, I appreciate the compliment and I am pleased if my comments
help they guys on the group.

Robert