Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default Was: Nitrocellulose Now: Deft?

" wrote in
ups.com:

SNIP
Ahhhh.... the much maligned Deft. I started as a full time
woodoworker in '75, and it has been around a lot longer than that. I
still use it today on occasion if I am called on to finish small
projects (cabinets) or interior doors.

That has to be the most forgiving, applicator friendly finish around
that will give great results. I have switched to the Old Master's
brand of lacquer now due to its higher solid content, but wouldn't
hesistate to use a can of Deft
when needed.

Ok. This seems to be a good thread to hijack...

I've been a finish experimenter, although seldom with a spray rig yet.

I did a small red oak entertainment center for my youngest son a few
years back. charlieb, this was one of those father & son projects like
you occasionally write about. His part ended up being taking it home,
because I needed that part of my shop back.

I decided to try Deft, on the recommendation of a friend, brushing out
the finish. Looked ok, but not excellent. And the stuff smelled to
beat high heaven, although that may have been the family smeller on
over-active. The finish turned out not to be nearly as durable and
scratch-resistant as I had been led to believe, and it will need a re-do
at some point in the future.

So was it just bad vibes? Cold weather? A reaction to a shellac
afficianado doing brushed lacquer? A rejection of lacqueer on red oak?
Karma?

Enquiring minds are mildly curious. I gave away the last 2/3 of the
quart...

Patriarch