Posted to rec.woodworking

Default screw heads

Robertson is a patented version from Canada. They wanted lots o' bucks
for licensing fees so everybody else just makes perfect squares where
true robertson have an angled (or drafted) sides. Everybody else just
punches a square hole with straight sides and adds a small amount of
draft to the driver. So the Robertsons will grab just a fraction
better.

For original poster, just go to McFeely web site and read all you need
to know about screws.

On Jul 12, 9:31 am, Ken McIsaac wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:04:19 -0500, dpb wrote:
Eigenvector wrote:
When working with wood projects and the need for a screw fastener comes up,
what head is used now a days? ... Are torx head screws replacing phillips as
the screw head of choice or are there clear advantages to ANY kind of screw
head? This is for wood, I'm not worried about metal, or plastic, or
something else. I don't really want to start a flame war either, just
curious.

It wouldn't bother me if torx did replace phillips but there has to be some
sort of convention forming, there can't be that many reasons to choose
slotted over phillips over torx over square.

Little to choose slotted for anything other than -- well, I can't think
of any reason, really...

The choice otherwise is really pretty immaterial for the average _rec_
woodworker; the only real place it matters a whole lot is for automated,
high volume applications.

For those, square, torx and similar are preferred as they have less slip
and lift out force than Phillips or even Robertson (the advantage of it
wrt Phillips besides the licensing issues).

Are you distinguishing square drive from Robertson? Aren't they the
same thing?

- Ken- Hide quoted text -