Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Round skew 12mm

"Toller" wrote in message
Video of some fat guy using a forged gouge truing the outside of a bowl.
Notice how he swings the gouge rather than pushes it when things clatter
because they aren't round. Lots easier to control on an anchored swing.
A straight edge won't allow you that luxury, only a curved one.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...TrueBottom.flv
Once the surface is pretty regular the bevel will guide and a shaving so
thin you can see through it can be maintained.

Thanks for the link.
I just bought a roughing gouge and was playing with different ways to use
it. I settled on a method like the video, but it is good to know I was
right.

Yep, gouge 101 says to take a progressively deeper cut as a progressively
thinner shaving. Make sure you use the inherently safe practice of staying
physically above centerline and keeping leverage on your side by moving the
rest in close as often as you need.