Boris Mohar

Default How the US is to make friends & influence tourists..

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 11:41:34 -0700, Offbreed
wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

I understand baksheesh can cut through red tape that we just have to
live with.

Seems baksheesh breeds red tape, though.

Beat me to it. Sometimes the red tape is generated on the spot in order to
collect baksheesh. Many years ago my mother and I were leaving than
communist Yugoslavia. Way before the Italian border a uniformed policemen
showed up on the train and made a beeline for my mother who looked most
vulnerable.
"Passport!" After examining our passports he asked:
"I need to see the certificate stating that this passport is yours"
Not having such a ludicrous certificate my mother settled for a "fine" and
we were on our way. I never went back to that forsaken hole.

--

Boris Mohar