Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JoanD'arcRoast JoanD'arcRoast is offline

Default Round skew 12mm

In article . com, Fred
Holder wrote:

On Jul 10, 8:54 am, Woodborg wrote:
I have just brought a crown round skew 12mm. I am hoping that i can use
this to finish the out side of my bowels, proir to sanding.

When i had a lesson a few years back, the guy had a sort of round skew
which finished the outside of the bowel nicely. I can't remember if
this had a straight across blade finish or was a curve.

I'm now unsure if i have brought the right tool and hope you can set me
right before i try holding my new shiny piece of steel against a
spinning piece of wood.

Mark

--
Woodborg

Hello Mark,

A skew chisel whether round or otherwise, is not the right tool to use
on a bowl. A skew chisel is designed for spindle turning where all of
the grain is side grain. A bowl gouge or a round nose scraper are the
better choices for bowl work. I personally prefer the bowl gouge for
all bowl work. If you simply can't get rid of the ridges with the bowl
gouge, a wide, heavy round nose scraper will work very well.

Another nice tool for what you want is made from an old shallow
spindle gouge of about one inch width. Grind the bevel on the flute
side. When in use, put the flute down onto the tool rest and you have
an excellent shear scraper that works on both the inside and outside
of the bowl. I prefer this to the flat scraper because of the shearing
action that it provides without having to cant you tool off of the
tool rest.

Please use that skew to turn spindles, you can get some horrible
catches using a skew on a bowl.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

Please pardon my butting in... but I'm having trouble picturing this
scraper, Fred. Are you using it upside-down? (Resting the wings on the
toolrest; in other words, belly-up?)

-j