Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

Tam/WB2TT wrote:

"Paul Burke" wrote
Tam/WB2TT wrote:

Having bought multiple cooking utensils in the past few years, I don't
recall seeing one in a box that said "kettle". From what I can gather,
that is pretty much an archaic term, and only used in a context such as
tea kettle; however, the latter is just as often called a tea pot.

There is a crucial distinction between the kettle, in which the water is
boiled, and the teapot, in which the tea is brewed (infused). If you've
been putting the tea leaves (or even bags) in the kettle, it's no wonder
the Americans prefer coffee.

There are other kinds of kettle, with neither side- handle nor spout, but
that's a different kettle of fish.

For what it's worth, the dictionary defines a cauldron as a large kettle. So
to me, a kettle looks something like a cauldron, but not as big. I don't
know anybody who owns an electric tea brewer, though I do own 3 electric
coffee pots. The UK folks might be ripe for a samovar.

You're fixating over a combined device for heating the water and brewing the
tea.

Graham