Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT internet service provider question

mac davis wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 14:10:31 GMT, "CM" wrote:

We are moving this weekend and just found out there is no high speed
internet service available through the telephone or cable companies for
our home. I have looked at a few dish internet providers but would like
some feedback from others on which one to go with.

We've been with Hughesnet for a little over a month and it's VERY hard to
get used to...
We got the slowest speed because even it was $60 a month, but the range of
speed and connection/drop is all over the map..

You can go from slower than dial-up to what seems as fast as our cable in
the States, and back again, in seconds.. watching the speed fluctuate when
downloading a large file is amazing..

Yep, you're exceeding your FAP (fair access policy) rate, you then get
throttled *way* down (to less than dial-up speeds) when you do that.

OTOH, all in all it's better than a dial-up and can be run through our
router to share with the neighbors...

Sort of gives "wish upon a star" a whole new meaning..

OH.... Hughes is the only ISP I've had that doesn't have a news server, so
I had to provide my own to get this newsgroup..

In my other response, I forgot about that detail. Up until April 2003,
they had Usenet, then decided that "nobody uses Usenet anymore" and dropped
it to free up resources for more "advanced" features. At the time I left
Hughesnet, those more advanced features included deleting the music
streaming that they used to include on their web page without any download
penalties and wanting to force people to upgrade to the latest modem before
they would provide additional download speed at a reasonable cost. I was
told that I could get more speed on my existing modem if I wanted to pay
(IIRC more than $20 per month more for going from 700k to 1M speed), it
would have only been $10 per month more if I had upgraded to the newest
modem. This would have been the third modem model since 2001.