Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default Round skew 12mm

"Woodborg" wrote in message

I have just brought a crown round skew 12mm. I am hoping that i can use
this to finish the out side of my bowels, proir to sanding.

When i had a lesson a few years back, the guy had a sort of round skew
which finished the outside of the bowel nicely. I can't remember if
this had a straight across blade finish or was a curve.

I'm now unsure if i have brought the right tool and hope you can set me
right before i try holding my new shiny piece of steel against a
spinning piece of wood.

A skew is going to be a bear to control against a roll because the point
will lead into the work if you aren't very high on the circle and guiding on
the bevel. Even a straight chisel is tough, though you can skew the
trailing edge to protect yourself from digging. I like a shallow flute broad
radius gouge for that kind of work. Allows me to deepen progressively while
the curve(s) of the edge provide a margin of safety by coming out away from
the wood.

Get in close with your toolrest, keep it at or preferably a bit above center
to keep yourself from getting under the wood and digging in.

Video of some fat guy using a forged gouge truing the outside of a bowl.
Notice how he swings the gouge rather than pushes it when things clatter
because they aren't round. Lots easier to control on an anchored swing. A
straight edge won't allow you that luxury, only a curved one.
http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...TrueBottom.flv
Once the surface is pretty regular the bevel will guide and a shaving so
thin you can see through it can be maintained.