Posted to alt.home.repair
Gary Slusser Gary Slusser is offline

Default Whole House Water Filter

On Jul 10, 12:35 pm, "a12vman" wrote:
Anyone out there own the OmniFilter U25 Whole House Water Filter? I've had
mine for over a year now, but I can't get it to seal after a recent filter
change. I've always kept the O-Ring Lubricated with faucet grease and the
Threads of the cartridge holder wrapped with Teflon Tape. I've tried
several times but I just can't get it to seal.
The filter holder is screwing into the housing correctly, not
crosss-threaded.

Any Ideas?

Thanks In Advance,
-a12vman

Get rid of the tape on the housing threads. All they require is to be
clean. They are not (tapered) pipe threads so they don't seal, they
just tighten the sump into the head.

O-ring seals seal without more effort/force than hand tight plus ever
so little bit more, so if you are using a wrench to tighten the sump
until you can't turn it anymore, that's probably why it won't seal.
Over tightening o-rings is the primary cause of leaks. It stretches
and overly compresses them.

The best lubricant for o-rings is water or silicon for potable water
use only. Do not use anything else; like Crisco, vegetable oils or
petroleum based anything. They damage o-rings and void warranties.

Omni is not the best choice for disposable cartridge filter housings.
They either leak or you can't them apart.