Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default "DIY Disasters" ....TV's worst ever DIY show?

On 2007-07-10 12:48:09 +0100, ":Jerry:" said:

I don't blame the sheds at all [1], what I do blame are the 'Makeover'
(how I detest that word) type programmes - as long as you have to
*power tools* you can do the job, never mind needing skill, the *power
tools* will take car of things...

Yes I agree. The shows are the mouthpiece and the stores are
fulfillers of demand.

An ordinary DIYer will be able to do the work with manual tools, he or
she will use power tools only to speed the work along, they will not
be reliant on the tool cutting a straight line for example. What non
of these 'Makeover' (and many of the more detailed DIY) programmes
mention is that the only reason the presenter/trader was using power
tools was to speed things along.

I don't entirely agree. TV shows have had techniques for speeding
things along ever since the advent of the Devil's Window. Valerie
Singleton's classic line with sticky backed plastic was "here's one I
did earlier". They don't need power tools for that.

[1] can't blame them for cashing in on peoples ignorance!

Not in the least.