Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default "DIY Disasters" ....TV's worst ever DIY show?

On 2007-07-10 12:14:29 +0100, ":Jerry:" said:

On 2007-07-10 11:24:54 +0100, Rick J H said:

snip

What's "an ordinary DIYer"?

Someone who isn't a tool collector

Perhaps that should be - "Someone who isn't a *power* tool collector"

Even that's not a good way to define it.

Really the only viable description of "DIY" is that the person does the
work themselves as opposed to employing someone to do it.

The choice of the means to do so and the type of tools used has zero to
do with that.

OTOH, if (and only if) the motivation is to reduce the cost, then this
*may* have an influence on choice of tools.

The concept of "DIY tools" is therefore a nonsense and is only for the
convenience of merchandisers in supermarkets.

I can still remember when my father bought his first power tool, a
basic B&D corded electric drill, this would have been around 40 years
ago - up until then he used either a bevel geared drill, a bit and
brace or - for masonry - a hammer and raw plug 'chisel' (can't think
of the correct name).

These days most seem to consider having power tools is a pre-requisite
to doing any DIY! :~(

Clearly that isn't true either.

The DIY supermarkets have (cynically) decided on prices that the market
will bear and useless trinkets (laser sights) that will attract the
punters and have sourced and priced junk power tool products to address
that market.

This is what leads to the confusion as to what constitutes DIY and
tools to execute DIY work.