Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default You don't want basement air upstairs (article post)

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 18:17:18 -0400, "Charles"
wrote:

wrote in message
... the amount of cooling is miniscule in any case.

Would you have any evidence for this article of faith? :-)

No, just that I tried it (anecdotal evidence is not really evidence, of
course).

No that's not true, it is evidence. One example is not the best
evidence, compared to two or ten examples, but it's still evidence. In
addtion, you lived there and had the opportunity to pay close
attention. OT3H, you probably didn't do actual measurements.

Lately, on tv, the script sometimes implies the only evidence is
printed evidence, or sound or video recordings. That's not true. One
person's testimony of what he saw or heard is still evidence.

And OTOH for the last 60 or more years, we've heard the caustic
remark, "That's just circumstantial evidence", as if that means it's
no good. In fact, most criminal convictions in the US and elsewhere
are based entirely on circumstantial evidence. Which is everything
but eyewitness testimony of someone who saw the crime committed.
Paperwork, autopsies, blood evidence, all crime scene evidence, all
lab work, ballistics tests, everything that a witness didnt' see or
hear is circumstantial.

If you see someone A walk into a room carrying a gun, hear a bang, and
you walk in to find B on the floor, and A holding a smoking gun, that
is all circumstantial evidence. Does that mean it's not good in our
system? (IIUC, in death penalty cases in Israelite and Jewish cases
under Biblical law, circumstantial evidence is not admissable, but
that's not the law we use. Although maybe that is where people got
the idea it is never any good.)

http://www.city-data.com/city/Roscoe-Pennsylvania.html

Lived there for 5 years and really sweltered in August ... a low altitude
river town with no breeze ... surrounding hills on both sides. The cool
basement air was enticing ... but it just didn't work.

Moved to the top of a hill ... highly recommended!

I live in a tiny valley next to a small stream. The hills around me
within 200 yards are probably no more than 20 ft. high, and no more
than 40 feet within 400 yards. But I've started to think this is why
I have so little breeze. I love my little stream which turns 90
degrees just a few feet past my house, and the little bit of woods
around it, and was amazed to find it next to a townhouse. I've still
never see a better lot in this town, even for a full size house.

But I rarely have a breeze.

Also, AC is highly
recommended.

Thought I would need it today. It was 98 but only 26% humidity in
Baltimore and not so bad.

BTW, the radon gas thing originated in SW PA.

I did test for that 20 years ago and I passed. Do I have to test
again?