Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Painting Clapboards

Robert11 wrote:
Hi,

In the midst of having new Cedar horizontal clapboards being put on house.

They are pre-primed (with something ?) on both inside and outside.

Questions:

a. Not really "dirty", but guess I will have them pressure washed first.
Good idea ?
Anything I should probably know first about pressure washing Clapboards
?
e.g., can it ruin or take off the primer ?

b. Have no idea how long Cedar clapboards may have been sitting around in
lumber yard.
Should I wait some period of time for them to "stabilize" (or perhaps
bleed-out) before the painting (latex paint) ?
If so, how long ? Sure do want to get them painted this summer, though.

c. If not necessary to wait, how long should I wait after the pressure
washing for the surfaces to be satisfactorily dry, etc. ? (assume typical
75 deg. summer days) Will a day or so be enough if dry to the touch ?

Thanks,
B.

I would not pressure wash wood. If the boards have been stored long
term, the primer may be chalky, which would require cleaning for proper
adhesion. Retail primers I have checked advise painting within a couple
of weeks. I would check the mfg. instructions to see if you need
another coat of primer. I would also prime ends of the boards and caulk
them prior to painting - that is where you are most likely to have paint
peel later on if the ends are not sealed up tight.