Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting Clapboards

Hi,

In the midst of having new Cedar horizontal clapboards being put on house.

They are pre-primed (with something ?) on both inside and outside.

Questions:

a. Not really "dirty", but guess I will have them pressure washed first.
Good idea ?
Anything I should probably know first about pressure washing Clapboards
?
e.g., can it ruin or take off the primer ?

b. Have no idea how long Cedar clapboards may have been sitting around in
lumber yard.
Should I wait some period of time for them to "stabilize" (or perhaps
bleed-out) before the painting (latex paint) ?
If so, how long ? Sure do want to get them painted this summer, though.

c. If not necessary to wait, how long should I wait after the pressure
washing for the surfaces to be satisfactorily dry, etc. ? (assume typical
75 deg. summer days) Will a day or so be enough if dry to the touch ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Robert11" wrote:
Hi,

In the midst of having new Cedar horizontal clapboards being put on house.

They are pre-primed (with something ?) on both inside and outside.

Questions:

a. Not really "dirty", but guess I will have them pressure washed first.

That's simple: don't pressure-wash them. Especially if they're not really
dirty. Rinsing them off with a garden hose should satisfy your urge to wash
them. Wait a day or two to paint.

I'd agree except I would take a small portion and wash w/ bristle brush
and wipe to see how much (if any) affixed dirt is removed. I'd judge
from that how much scrubbing (again, if any) is needed. All you really
need is to be sure there's not a layer of grime that isn't solidly
adhered so the paint eventually peels off w/ it...pressure washing imo
isn't the best way to do that, in agreement w/ Doug.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

I would not pressure wash wood. If the boards have been stored long
term, the primer may be chalky, which would require cleaning for proper
adhesion. Retail primers I have checked advise painting within a couple
of weeks. I would check the mfg. instructions to see if you need
another coat of primer. I would also prime ends of the boards and caulk
them prior to painting - that is where you are most likely to have paint
peel later on if the ends are not sealed up tight.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 9, 12:50 pm, "Robert11" wrote:
[...]

Put your little toy pressure washer back in the garage until you need
it for some real chore, like your cousin Vernal's ATV after he's back
from the swamp. Meanwhile, take the time to learn the nuances of
painting a valuable wood from the pros at a real paint store, not the
18 year old that works at the box store. You may be amazed to learn
that oil based primers and paints can last longer than latex (although
those clever paint chemists are full of suprises.) Actually, a little
grime will not harm a primer, so don't waste your time going for a
pristine substrate. Some other good tips are in the posts on this
thread, too. HTH

Joe