Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Tam/WB2TT Tam/WB2TT is offline

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Tam/WB2TT wrote:
Thinks. In the UK a kettle is only used for boiling water. Usually for
making tea or instant coffee. Do you guys call some form of general
cooking utensil a kettle too?

Having bought multiple cooking utensils in the past few years, I don't
recall seeing one in a box that said "kettle". From what I can gather,
that is pretty much an archaic term, and only used in a context such as
tea kettle; however, the latter is just as often called a tea pot. If I
look around in a store, they will have things called sauce pans
(nothing to do with a pan), stock pots, and Dutch ovens (nothing to do
with an oven). I may be wrong, but to me a kettle is a pot with a wire
handle like a bucket. No reason you could not cook spaghetti in it, if
you found one.

I think the UK definition means a container with a spout and handle. But
most would consider it the safest way to boil water and fill a cup etc
from it - saucepans are less than ideal for this.

I am still trying to figure out what the previous poster meant by
aligning the pasta.

If it were spaghetti, so it could be poured out of the spout?

--
*Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

If all else fails, read the instruction book. I didn't see anything in the
cookbook about pots/pans, but according to Webster's Dictionary a kettle is
a bowl shaped metal utensil. I take that to mean it has a rounded bottom,
like what one would use for making witches brew. Probably not useful on an
electric stove.

Tam