Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT internet service provider question

CM wrote:

We are moving this weekend and just found out there is no high speed
internet service available through the telephone or cable companies for
our home. I have looked at a few dish internet providers but would like
some feedback from others on which one to go with.

Before DSL came to our area, I had DirecPC. Best thing I can say about it
is that it is faster than dial-up. It is slower than DSL. As long as you
don't exceed the download limits. If you do so, they will throttle you
down below dial-up speeds. I'm not sure what the limit was, but I could
never download something like Linux iso files. If you have problems with
the system, prepare to spend a lot of time on hold and work hard to
decipher Eastern Indian accents. Be prepared to go through endless
solution scripts with them before they finally elevate you to another level
of support that might actually be able to help you solve the problem.

I know that one of the other satellite providers applies the limit on a
monthly basis, so if you use up your bandwidth early in the month, you are
throttled down through the remainder of the billing period.