Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Blistered wood door

CME4FUN wrote:
We just restained our front door to revive the look. It took 2 days to dry
with the humidity. We then applied two coats of fast-drying polyurethane.
After the 2nd coat, we closed the door with the early evening sun hitting
the door. A few hours later we noticed several bubbles on the door. Not
sure what caused this or best method to fix.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Larry

If you read the label on your varnish can it probably said to 'let dry
overnight', 'x number of hours' or similar. Some PU formulations have
solvents that tend soften the partially cured first coat. The fix is
obvious, strip the failed fiinsh, let the stained door dry for a week,
and refinish with a quality spar varnish from a paint store that
knows what they're selling. They can also supply a quality stripping
product as well. Take your time to do it right and the results will be
just fine. HTH

Joe