Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blistered wood door

We just restained our front door to revive the look. It took 2 days to dry
with the humidity. We then applied two coats of fast-drying polyurethane.
After the 2nd coat, we closed the door with the early evening sun hitting
the door. A few hours later we noticed several bubbles on the door. Not
sure what caused this or best method to fix.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 9:21 pm, "CME4FUN" wrote:
We just restained our front door to revive the look. It took 2 days to dry
with the humidity. We then applied two coats of fast-drying polyurethane.
After the 2nd coat, we closed the door with the early evening sun hitting
the door. A few hours later we noticed several bubbles on the door. Not
sure what caused this or best method to fix.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Larry

On outside wood only Marine products should be used if you want them
to last. You probably rushed the job , coats were improperly aplied.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

CME4FUN wrote:
We just restained our front door to revive the look. It took 2 days to dry
with the humidity. We then applied two coats of fast-drying polyurethane.
After the 2nd coat, we closed the door with the early evening sun hitting
the door. A few hours later we noticed several bubbles on the door. Not
sure what caused this or best method to fix.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Larry

If you read the label on your varnish can it probably said to 'let dry
overnight', 'x number of hours' or similar. Some PU formulations have
solvents that tend soften the partially cured first coat. The fix is
obvious, strip the failed fiinsh, let the stained door dry for a week,
and refinish with a quality spar varnish from a paint store that
knows what they're selling. They can also supply a quality stripping
product as well. Take your time to do it right and the results will be
just fine. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

CME4FUN wrote:
We just restained our front door to revive the look. It took 2
days to dry with the humidity. We then applied two coats of
fast-drying polyurethane. After the 2nd coat, we closed the door
with the early evening sun hitting the door. A few hours later we
noticed several bubbles on the door. Not sure what caused this or
best method to fix.

What caused it was the heat from the sunlight. The way to fix it is
to sand and apply another coat of your finish.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:
CME4FUN wrote:
We just restained our front door to revive the look. It took 2
days to dry with the humidity. We then applied two coats of
fast-drying polyurethane. After the 2nd coat, we closed the door
with the early evening sun hitting the door. A few hours later we
noticed several bubbles on the door. Not sure what caused this or
best method to fix.

What caused it was the heat from the sunlight. The way to fix it is
to sand and apply another coat of your finish.

You *were* talking about small, pinhead size bubbles, weren't you? If
yes, above is correct. If not - if they are LARGE bubbles - then it
depends. It is possible that the stain wasn't completely dry and/or
that the top coat was incompatible with it. In that case, remedy is
the same...sand and topcoat.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Blistered wood door - Thanks to all

Thanks to ransley, Joe, and dadiOH. I went to Home Depot and they had a
marine polyurethane. I have sanded the door, wiped it down and letting dry
before applying. This one says four hours but I will let it go eight if
needed.

Appreciate all your comments.

Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 12:18 pm, "CME4FUN" wrote:
Thanks to ransley, Joe, and dadiOH. I went to Home Depot and they had a
marine polyurethane. I have sanded the door, wiped it down and letting dry
before applying. This one says four hours but I will let it go eight if
needed.

Appreciate all your comments.

Larry

IME, with "normal" PU, reasonable RH, and no direct sun, the choice
after the first PU coat is let it dry until surface no longer tacky,
or
overnight, before next coat. And, if overnight, very gentle fine
sanding
or steel-wool between coats. Bubbles? What bubbles?

It's also a Real Good Thing with big pieces like doors to lay them
horizontal before applying. Unless you like saggy bits, or can apply
really light coats (which dry faster anyhow.) YMWV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

CME4FUN wrote:

We just restained our front door to revive the look. It took 2 days to dry
with the humidity. We then applied two coats of fast-drying polyurethane.
After the 2nd coat, we closed the door with the early evening sun hitting
the door. A few hours later we noticed several bubbles on the door. Not
sure what caused this or best method to fix.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Larry

Hot sun caused it ... the varnish/paint dries to film before solvents
evaporate, solvents are trapped beneath the film. If you have to recoat
it, try to shade it...just sheets of foil, taped somehow to shade the
door, will keep the heat off until it is completely CURED (longer than
"dry"). Also, a good idea not to close it tightly until it is cured, or
at least a couple, three days. Good vacation project )
Posted to alt.home.repair

CME4FUN wrote:
Thanks to ransley, Joe, and dadiOH. I went to Home Depot and they
had a marine polyurethane. I have sanded the door, wiped it down
and letting dry before applying.

Wiped it down with what?
________________

This one says four hours but I
will let it go eight if needed.

You'll let it go 4(8) hours before you do what? If you'll re-read the
instructions I think you'll find that you need to add additional coats
within four hours of each other. If not, you have to wait longer and
sand before applying more coats.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Norminn" wrote in message news:m9uki.5949

Hot sun caused it ... the varnish/paint dries to film before solvents
evaporate, solvents are trapped beneath the film. If you have to recoat
it, try to shade it...just sheets of foil, taped somehow to shade the
door, will keep the heat off until it is completely CURED (longer than
"dry"). Also, a good idea not to close it tightly until it is cured, or
at least a couple, three days. Good vacation project )

I agree with this. If you stained the door a dark color and have a large
glass in the storm door, it is amazing how hot it can get in the sun. Metal
door that are dark colors can give you a nasty burn. Keep the door open for
a time to keep the sun from hitting it directly.

Keep in mind that while the urethane may be "dry" in four hours, it is not
fully cured for about 2 weeks. Keep it cool until then.

New Entry Door: Wood or Fiberglass? geemike Home Repair 15 January 5th 21 09:23 AM
Wood door and trims miamicuse Woodworking 2 February 20th 07 01:14 PM
Screen Door Wood Steve B Home Repair 6 February 17th 06 05:44 PM
Exterior Wood Door Steve Home Repair 7 October 2nd 05 08:34 AM
Wood Screen Door rock Woodworking 6 May 21st 05 02:01 PM