Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Pool motor switch zapped

On Mon, 09 Jul 2007 00:53:31 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
Terry wrote:

Kurt

How far is the pump from the panel? The wire might be getting warm
enough to cause problems. The lugs (spades) might be the weakest
link.

Panel as in the box that has the switch? 2-3 feet or so. Of course the
space between the two is completely open. From the electrical panel in
the breakerbox, clear on the other side of the house.

I was talking about the electrical panel. If it is over 100 ft then
the electrician should have used a larger size wire or wired the pump
for 240V.

The voltage drop could cause the pump to fail.

The smoke at the switch makes me suspect the lug or maybe the switch
first, but if the pump does fail again it might be due to the wire
size.