Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Pool motor switch zapped

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 23:38:47 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

In article ,
"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

In the event that the pump is toast, Terry is just saving you time in
replacing the switch on a bad pump

Now that you mention it. I just remembered that the pool guy fixed
the same problem a month or two ago. We replaced the pump this spring,
then it went out again and we traded out the the new pump with another
new one. Then he realized that the the black wire had come loose. He
tightened it back up by taking off a little more insulation and crimping
putting the connector (what I called the spade)and then it happened
again.
I am sorry not to tell you guys this earlier, but I forgot entirely
about it until you mentioned. He kept the same switch and just rewired
the black wire to the switch. The switch itself is probably about 6
years old.
This change the calculus any? Could it be the new pump is pulling
too many amps or something? Again, I am sorry, but I completely forgot
about this.

Kurt

How far is the pump from the panel? The wire might be getting warm
enough to cause problems. The lugs (spades) might be the weakest
link.