Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default Pool motor switch zapped

In article ,
Terry wrote:

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 22:56:35 GMT, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

So, I open up the box following my wife telling me the motor isn't
working and that there was a zap sound. I find a rather large black,
sooty spot next to the on-off switch for the motor and the black wire
burnt and the spade thing that the black wire was attached to still
screwed into the switch, although as I mentioned the wire itself was no
longer attached.
Is this just a matter of switching out the switch or something
worse that I should maybe call in repair people for?? I can do the
latter, but that about exhausts what I am comfortable doing with
electricity.

With the power off, take the switch loose and wire nut the two wires
together that were going to the switch. If the pump works then
replace the switch. If it trips the breaker call an electrician.

Okay. This is a new pump, I'm not likely to mess with the guarantee or
anything if I do this?