Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Toller Toller is offline

Default Faceplate mounting Problems

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 18:09:50 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Neillarson" wrote in message
groups.com...
I have been using my 3" Face Plate with a round turned 1.5 inch piece
of maple for a mounting block. on the first one, I had a fine mist of
CA flying, second I clamped and let dry overnight but I stall had a
wood frisbee about 2/3 of the way through the bowl.

Both of the CA glues I used are the ones I use for my Pens. Is this
the wrong glue? I think I am getting good coverage but something is
bad. Any body using yellow glue?

I have had problems with CA. Even with accelerator, the piece comes
flying
off and I find the glue is still liquid.
I will be humble and assume the problem is mine; I didn't get the surfaces
flat enough.

I have switched to polyurethane glue and have no more problems.
Apparently
it is not quite a fussy about perfectly smooth surfaces.
It does however take several hours to set, and has to be clamped.

Careful with that polyurethane glue- it says it expands to fill gaps,
and it does. But when it expands, it gets really, really weak. It's
good stuff when you need it, for outdoor applications and the like,
but not that great for doing things indoors- and it's expensive as
well. You're better off with Probond or Titebond, IMO.

I bought 5 bottles at 80% off at a going out of business sale; so price is
no object.