Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default OT - Cowboys & the floods

"Don Spumey" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
k...

I know where you mean. The flooding in Hull was missed out of the
news for some reason. More houses were flooded in Hull than in all
of South Yorkshire put together and no Prince Charles turning up to
"help". Forgotten it was. You have my sympathies.

Hull is getting a lot of coverage. Leeds had none.

Mary

Yes Hull is getting a lot of coverage now, but consider the fact that one
in five properties have been damaged. Estimated costs of repairing the
infrastructure is in excess of £200 million (although we have been
promised £14 million from central government) & in all likelihood our
Council Tax will treble next year.

Everyone's building and content insurance will also rocket.

12 schools closed for up to a year.

That will plese pupils :-)

Add to that the problem of the thousands which will be homeless for up to
two years whilst repairs are made to their properties. Then there are the
lucky ones who managed to find Hotel accommodation, albeit 100 miles away
(that's going to be one hell of a commute for them if they're still lucky
enough to have a job to come to).

I think if the situation had occurred 'down south' a "National Disaster"
would have been declared. But saying that, we're just oiks up north!

I'm a northern oik and I don't see it like that. Stuff happens. We deal with
it. If we can't we should be living in the s**th.

Mary