Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Faceplate mounting Problems

Allow me to chime in here. I almost always use a glue block for bowls and
platters in both wet wood and dry. Most of the time I use hot glue but have
used CA.

Hot glue
1) let the gun heat for about 10 minutes.
2) get the glue surfaces flat or slightly concave, no rock allowed
3) use a generous spiral of glue on the block
4) immediately pust the two pieces together and twist the block
5) bench test: hold the piece and hit the glue block on the bench to see it
it holds
6) turn

if the wood is wet
2a) dry the bottom of the piece with a heat gun or hair drier. make sure
both surfaces are dry.
6a) turn the piece in one go. Overnight in a plastic bag which some of us do
to prevent cracking will allow condensation and moisture movement to weaken
the glue joint.

if using CA
1) work as in hot glue above but no need to heat the CA
2) use medium or thick hot glue
3) use glue on the block and accelerator on the piece
4) rumor has it that CA will work on wet wood. It will but I prefer not to
try on dripping end grain. Use screws and work around them or dry the wood
with a heat gun.
5) bench test: see above

I use glue blocks on bowls and vases and hollow forms without problem and on
a bunch of other stuff, usually hot glue.

There is not a lot here but you you might want to see
http://aroundthewoods.com/hollow1.shtml#tip22
and
http://aroundthewoods.com/gblock.shtml

--