Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Default OT internet service provider question

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 05:20:37 -0400, "Upscale"
wrote:

You got along fine when programs were smaller, less data was floating around
and background information to get a screen to load was miniscule compared to
minimum necessities in this day and age. Using a 1200 baud modem as an
example is absolutely ridiculous considering that one would fail completely
in any platform currently used.

High-speed access is now deemed "necessary" enough that it can become
a huge political football, often used to differentiate the "haves"
from the "have not's". I work for a telecomm company who is often
subject to legislation, on state and federal levels, that forces us
to provide certain broadband services in certain locations in exchange
for access to more lucrative markets.

Real estate developers frequently arrange for service before they
start anything other than a low-end project, because they know many
buyers will want high-speed access. Real estate agents will tell you
that people will choose one street over another based on broadband
availability, and actually state "lack of broadband availability" as
the reason for passing on a home.

Personally, I'd give up TV, broadcast radio, and a landline phone in
seconds.

Give up broadband? No way!

I'll be on the front lawn with a shotgun. G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **