Posted to alt.home.repair
ValveJob ValveJob is offline

Default Roofing Question - Clarification

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 15:58:35 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 7, 5:14 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
There's been a lot said here about deposits.

Deposits are usual and customary in today's market for custom work,
special
orders, and other special circumstances agreed upon in advance by both
parties of the contract.

I started out my steel erection contracting business doing ornamental
metal
in my garage. 50% down because it was custom work, and 50% upon
installation.

I did about two years of this before I grew and got into the commercial
market and got my contractor's license. In that time, I was jerked
around
by so many homeowners that I was sick of it.

Once I took off commercially, I changed policies. If anyone said
ANYTHING
about the deposit on custom work, I'd just put a big X on my copy, and
tell
them to call me. If they did call back for the work, I'd say that I was
just too busy and they could call back every three months. Anyone who
grumped about paying a deposit for custom work would grump about
everything
else, too. Usually they called me back with some long tale of woe about
how
bad a job they had gotten at a "bargain" price, and could I come fix it.
"Sure, a truck and two men are $95 per hour." More wailing.

Once I got commercial, the word "deposit" never came up. They pay when
the
job is FINISHED AND INSPECTED. Or they do progress payments. And then
it
may take a while for the girl to cut the check.

So, while I say deposits are bad and unnecessary, I must admit that
sometimes ..................
The main thing is to know your contractor, have recourse, see their
licensing and insurance, and check things out.

As for homeowners paying for stuff up front, I have heard too many horror
stories. It's like the drunk who asks for a buck to get something to
eat.
You offer to take him and buy him a burger. No, they want the buck. If
the
contractor can't get the materials, YOU buy them and dispense them as
used.
But NOOOOO, they want the deposit.

Many have written here, both the informed and the clueless. It is
different
with different types of businesses, and areas. But business is business,
and it's just not a smart idea to pay for something you don't get.

Do you even read the stuff you write before you hit send? I know you
don't think about it.

A little while ago you were shouting NEVER PAY FOR WORK UP FRONT, now
you're telling us that you customarily did business that way? Then
you're telling us that you left the deposit thing behind when you went
into commercial work. WTF? Sure, there's no difference between
commercial and residential work, is there? Sheesh.

At least I am honest enough to tell the story. Things change in people's
lives (not yours apparently) and from one time to another, they do things
differently.

As for now, I don't USUALLY give deposits, save for custom work or special
orders. And I damn sure wouldn't give a deposit to a roofer under any
circumstances.

Steve

If I do your roof, I don't need a deposit from you.

I do however, expect you to sign all the papers before I deliver
product to your property so that I have a lien on your home. If you
hesitate to pay on completion, I kick your sorry ass out, auction off
your home and take my cut and give you what is left after expenses.