Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Do AC Blowers Take Breaks?

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 20:26:00 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 16:55:43 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I turned on my AC few hours ago and set to blower to ON, as opposed to
AUTO. The temp hasn't reached the set point yet, so the AC has been
running since I turned it on.

I was down in the basement doing some stuff (unrelated to the AC) when
the blower stopped. Curious, I went upstairs to check the thermostat
and it was calling for AC and the blower was still set to ON.

I went back downstairs and after about 20 seconds the blower came back
on. I don't think it was off for more than a minute. This is the
second season with the AC and I don't recall this happening before,
but since it was off for less than a minute, who knows?

Any thoughts?

Thermal protect built into the motor comes to mind but less than a minute
seems too quick for it to cool down and reset. Keep an eye on it because
no, blowers do not take breaks especially with the fan set to "on".

In the summer of 1980, I was working in a place that did injection
molding (some very hot machines). The big fans kept stopping and
starting. I seem to remember them being off for less than a minute.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"