Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do AC Blowers Take Breaks?

I turned on my AC few hours ago and set to blower to ON, as opposed to
AUTO. The temp hasn't reached the set point yet, so the AC has been
running since I turned it on.

I was down in the basement doing some stuff (unrelated to the AC) when
the blower stopped. Curious, I went upstairs to check the thermostat
and it was calling for AC and the blower was still set to ON.

I went back downstairs and after about 20 seconds the blower came back
on. I don't think it was off for more than a minute. This is the
second season with the AC and I don't recall this happening before,
but since it was off for less than a minute, who knows?

Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I turned on my AC few hours ago and set to blower to ON, as opposed to
AUTO. The temp hasn't reached the set point yet, so the AC has been
running since I turned it on.

I was down in the basement doing some stuff (unrelated to the AC) when
the blower stopped. Curious, I went upstairs to check the thermostat
and it was calling for AC and the blower was still set to ON.

I went back downstairs and after about 20 seconds the blower came back
on. I don't think it was off for more than a minute. This is the
second season with the AC and I don't recall this happening before,
but since it was off for less than a minute, who knows?

Any thoughts?

Blower motor may have a thermal protection device
(in the windings). If that is tripping (and then
resetting after cooling off), it's not a good sign.

The motor may need lube or the blower may be overloaded
from excess static pressure or running at too high a speed.
Have a peek at the filters too.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 20:26:00 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 16:55:43 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I turned on my AC few hours ago and set to blower to ON, as opposed to
AUTO. The temp hasn't reached the set point yet, so the AC has been
running since I turned it on.

I was down in the basement doing some stuff (unrelated to the AC) when
the blower stopped. Curious, I went upstairs to check the thermostat
and it was calling for AC and the blower was still set to ON.

I went back downstairs and after about 20 seconds the blower came back
on. I don't think it was off for more than a minute. This is the
second season with the AC and I don't recall this happening before,
but since it was off for less than a minute, who knows?

Any thoughts?

Thermal protect built into the motor comes to mind but less than a minute
seems too quick for it to cool down and reset. Keep an eye on it because
no, blowers do not take breaks especially with the fan set to "on".

In the summer of 1980, I was working in a place that did injection
molding (some very hot machines). The big fans kept stopping and
starting. I seem to remember them being off for less than a minute.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 9:22 pm, Mark Lloyd wrote:

- In the summer of 1980, I was working in a place that did injection
- molding (some very hot machines). The big fans kept stopping and
- starting. I seem to remember them being off for less than a minute.

Ah, that explains it! When I said "I was down in the basement doing
some stuff", it just happened to be injection molding that I was
doing! So, if I stop using this machine, my AC blower will stay on?

http://www.elitemachinerysystems.com...3000Clamp2.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Ah, that explains it! When I said "I was down in the basement doing
some stuff", it just happened to be injection molding that I was
doing! So, if I stop using this machine, my AC blower will stay on?

http://www.elitemachinerysystems.com...3000Clamp2.jpg

Must be a very deep basement for all your equipment.

It is also possible the power company had a drop in voltage that could cause
that to happen too. Hard to track that down if it was momentary. If it
keeps happening you may want to check the voltage with a good meter, after
checking what others suggested, lube and filters.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I turned on my AC few hours ago and set to blower to ON, as opposed to

How many hours is "few"?

Just kidding. I don't care.

AUTO. The temp hasn't reached the set point yet, so the AC has been
running since I turned it on.

And be sure to buy my book
_Injection Molding for Fun and Profit_ by MM.
Posted to alt.home.repair

After you have checked what everyone has told you, then you may want to gave a call the company that installed the furnace and have it checked out.

You never know what they may find, a loose wire, a sticking relay or what ever since it sounds like the furnace is alittle over a year old.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message ups.com...
I turned on my AC few hours ago and set to blower to ON, as opposed to
AUTO. The temp hasn't reached the set point yet, so the AC has been
running since I turned it on.

I was down in the basement doing some stuff (unrelated to the AC) when
the blower stopped. Curious, I went upstairs to check the thermostat
and it was calling for AC and the blower was still set to ON.

I went back downstairs and after about 20 seconds the blower came back
on. I don't think it was off for more than a minute. This is the
second season with the AC and I don't recall this happening before,
but since it was off for less than a minute, who knows?

Any thoughts?

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Speedy Jim :

Blower motor may have a thermal protection device
(in the windings). If that is tripping (and then
resetting after cooling off), it's not a good sign.

It _may_ not be a good sign. Depends on what the controller
thinks it's doing.

The motor may need lube or the blower may be overloaded
from excess static pressure or running at too high a speed.
Have a peek at the filters too.

Blower motors consume _less_ power when their flow is restricted, and
generally run cooler. They consume more power the more air they
move.

I built an air cleaner system. It was a 1/2HP blower motor in a
wooden box with three stages of 16"x20" filters (1", 2" and 4" thick).
The blower was originally part of a forced-air cooling system for
a computer or some such that _needed_ the flow restriction of ducting
to operate properly. It would operate for about 20 minutes then shut
down for 5 minutes because the motor overheated. Putting a flow
restricter that blocked about 1/3 of the inlet of the blower solved
the problem completely.

So, that's not it.

It'd be a good idea to wait for this to happen again, and put your
hand on the motor casing to see how warm it gets. If it's the thermal
trip, I'd expect the motor casing to be very hot when it trips. The
motor got extremely hot in my air cleaner until I thought to obstruct
air flow. Now it runs quite cool.

If it's a thermal trip, it's more likely to be a stiff bearing
somewhere rather than anything to do with air flow (because they
were engineered together, and should be just fine). May need
lubrication.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7 Jul, 19:55, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I turned on my AC few hours ago and set to blower to ON, as opposed to
AUTO. The temp hasn't reached the set point yet, so the AC has been
running since I turned it on.

I was down in the basement doing some stuff (unrelated to the AC) when
the blower stopped. Curious, I went upstairs to check the thermostat
and it was calling for AC and the blower was still set to ON.

I went back downstairs and after about 20 seconds the blower came back
on. I don't think it was off for more than a minute. This is the
second season with the AC and I don't recall this happening before,
but since it was off for less than a minute, who knows?

Any thoughts?

I have a question about my blower that might explain what is happening
-

The furnace is a Ruud 90+ 2-stage unit. With the fan switch on the t-
stat set to ON, the fan runs constantly at the low speed, but when the
t-calls for cooling, many times (always?) the blower runs at high
speed.

Is it possible that when the t-stat calls for high speed fan
operation, it overrides the ON setting, turns the blower off for a few
seconds (30?) and then turns it back on at high speed? In other
words, it doesn't go from low to high, it goes from low to off to
high.

I may do some testing when I get home tonight, but I thought I'd throw
the question out first.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yes, the blower (can) operate at different speeds for different stat
settings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 14, 5:46 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but that's not what I asked.

What I asked was this:

If the blower was constantly running at low speed because the fan
switch is set to ON, would it briefly shut off (i.e. stop for 20-30
seconds) before switching to high speed if the stat called for A/C and
high speed blower operation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:55:53 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

If the stat is calling for AC then no, the blower should not turn off even
for 30 seconds.

You sure?

Ever had a board with a 30 second fan start delay? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

What brand of equipment?
Got a model number?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 3:49 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jul 14, 5:46 pm, kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

It's a Heat Controller Conquest 90 Max Model number GTUA75-E3A which I
believe is made by RUUD.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
If thermal protection is tripped, it'll take way more than a minute to
cool off and reset. Checked filter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 10:40 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

FYI...I posted my question over at http://www.hvacmechanic.com/forums/r...hread_open.htm
and this is teh answer I got:

"Yeah that's normal. I see that delay on a lot of models. Prevents
high vapor pressure, to protect the compressor on startup and keeps
the amperage low."

Wet saw breaks tile at end of cut Cactus Jack Home Repair 52 November 7th 19 12:20 PM
Fun with leaf blowers HeyBub Home Repair 1 July 6th 07 12:24 AM
Centrifugal blowers--any shop uses? Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 2 February 24th 06 03:45 AM
Snow Blowers John F. Home Repair 19 October 20th 05 02:25 PM
music breaks up on cd player Kalman Rubinson Electronics Repair 1 October 4th 04 09:07 PM