Posted to alt.home.repair
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default Roofing Question

"RicodJour" wrote

On Jul 7, 1:26 pm, "Nancy Young" wrote:

If I've read it once, I've read it a million times. If the local
suppliers
don't trust the person enough to extend credit, there is probably a
reason. I have never had to front anyone money for supplies.

Let me see if I understand you. You want the contractor to front you
money (that's what he's doing when he buys materials for your job
before you've paid for them), but you don't want to front money to the
contractor. Does that sound right to you?

I don't think they put any money out. That's the point.
Contractors who don't pay their bills have to pay cash, they
have to put money out. Needing money for supplies is a red flag.

You seem to be assuming that a contractor doesn't have a line of
credit if he doesn't extend the line of credit to you.

Frankly, I've never had to assume anything. The contractor
has always procured the products I ask for and when the job is
done, I pay them. I would anticipate paying as the job went along,
but if someone is a roofer and they can't even swing the cost for
shingles and plywood, I would not be comfortable handing them the
few hundred dollars.

nancy