Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Roofing Question

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 7, 5:01 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"EXT" wrote in message

Had my roof done a couple of years ago with a special order shingle. No
down payment. Total cost about $15,000.00 with all the extras, etc.
Paid
nothing until bill arrived in the mail a few weeks after the job was
complete.

How can this be? It has been stated time and again here that deposits
are
usual and customary. ;-)

Nevada seems to think a deposit is not unusual. That's where you're
from, right?
http://www.nvcontractorsboard.com/Co...0Consumers.pdf
http://www.nvcontractorsboard.com/Co...Contractor.pdf

The last has this to say:
Large Down Payments
A dishonest contractor demands a large down payment to cover supplies
and pay workers. On most types of contracts, there is no set amount
for a down payment. However, it is a good rule of thumb not to let the
payments get ahead of the work.

If a contractor is asking for a big deposit and/or cash, that's one
thing, and it's definitely a warning sign. But you didn't say
something normal and reasonable, like not letting the payments get
ahead of the work. That is reasonable, NEVER PAY UP FRONT is not.

If a customer expressed concern about the deposit and paying for their
materials, and they weren't sending off all of these negative warning
signals like you're doing, I'd offer to let them pay the supplier
directly when delivery was made. That way they paid for their
materials that are now safely stored on their property. It's actually
safer for the owner as paying the supplier directly insures that there
won't be a supplier's mechanics lien.
http://www.nvcontractorsboard.com/Co...To%20Owner.pdf

Where's the risk in that? Oh, right. There is none, but it's not
about the risk for you. It's about getting something for nothing and/
or being one up on somebody. The saddest thing is that people might
actually listen to your nonsense and rule out good contractors with
good reputations that know how to run a business. That's just wrong.

Well, that settles it. You said it, so it must be true.

I tell you what, Ric. I'll do what I want with MY money, and you can do the
same. Just as with all the other readers here.

I shall, however, continue to state my experiences, suggestions, and advice
here with no need of approval from you. People can, and will, do as they
please in their own circumstances.

Steve