Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Faceplate mounting Problems

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 13:32:27 -0500, spaco
wrote:

I wondered about this, too, when I turned my very first bowl from a
really green blank. Does the CA glue work properly when the wood is so
wet that dropletts fly off while turning?

If it doesn't work well, what DO you do to connect a wet blank to a
faceplate without screwing it on?

Wood glue and an F-clamp- if you don't have a suitable clamp, you
could put a wieght on it or use the lathe itself as a clamp overnight
if you use the tailstock to hold it together.

Hot glue does work as well, and once you get it to hold, it's plenty
strong- but it usually takes me a couple of tries to get it to tack
properly. Then again, I have a pretty cheesy glue gun, and I don't
think it gets as hot as it should be- getting two pieces of wood glued
together with it is tougher than forge welding.

Pete Stanaitis