Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac
Noon-Air Noon-Air is offline

Default A/C working properly? Cost - lower temp?

"Logan Shaw" wrote in message
You've got to be kidding. Enough "hours" that any human who has ever
used A/C would recognize that there's a problem. Here's what he
said:

"Running for hours could mean anything more than one hour. There's
not much information there.

Indeed. This by itself isn't much information. I'm no expert, but I
know that A/C units need to be properly sized for the load. (If a
unit is oversized, bad things happen like either excessively short
cycle times or uncomfortable temperature swings, and maybe problems
with humidity regulation.) What this means is that on the hottest
few days of the year, the A/C *should* run a lot. If I understand
correctly, it is perfectly reasonable behavior for your A/C unit to
run for "hours" on the hottest few days of the year.

Now, combine that with the fact that the large parts of the Western
US have been experiencing a heat wave. There may be record high
temperatures where you live. Or maybe not; you might not live in
one of those areas that is experiencing record highs. We don't have
that information.

The $320 electric bill is a sign, but it's not really proof of anything.
There was a guy who posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living only a few
weeks ago whose electric bill at a small office suite was through the
roof, even though he was only there a few days a week and turned
everything off when he left. Turned out a neighboring office suite
had been accidentally wired through his meter!

the $320 light bill is from LAST MONTH, and has nothing to do with the
current heat wave.
The OP needs to either A) be climbing the landlords ass tot get it fixed, or
B) pony up the cash and hire a pro to fix it.

So, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask you to quantify "hours".
(On the other hand, the flame fest that this thread has turned into
is unreasonable.)

- Logan