Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul Franklin Paul Franklin is offline

Default Garage Door Spring Rips Garage Apart

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 13:30:43 -0500, wrote:
snip?

Is there any way to secure the spring so if something breaks, at least
it will stay up in the air where it belongs?
This is an older 8 foot high, 9 foot wide wooden door. It's not that
heavy, but still needs the springs to lift it. Where I used to live
we had a 10 foot wide fiberglass door and I could lift it without
springs, although it was a bit of a struggle. Those springs were not
as large (and likely not as powerful).

I'm off to buy a new cable, but I wont feel safe going into the garage
until I can find a way to make those springs safer. Placing them
inside a steel tube (pipe) seems like one way, but how?

Anyone got any tips?

Extension springs should always have a second, separate piece of wire
rope running through the middle of the spring and secured solidly at
each end with a separate screw eye (not the one holding the spring.
This is called a spring keeper, and it keeps the spring from flying
loose if it breaks or comes free from the cable or attachment point.
Pick the attachment points so the spring can slide along the keeper as
it extends and contracts.

HTH,

Paul