Posted to alt.home.repair
DJ Delorie DJ Delorie is offline

Default GE dishwasher recall "repair": think twice!

Just had our dishwasher "repaired" and wanted to share my experience.
Had I known the results, I wouldn't have had it "repaired" (opting for
some alternate solution). I'm not telling anyone what to do, just
relaying how I feel about it...

The recall is about the jetdry tank leaking, and causing wire damage.

The repair replaces the old wires with new ones of exactly the same type.

The repair removes all the sound-dampening insulation from the door
and toe kicks.[*]

The repair replaces a perfectly good toe kick with one that doesn't
fit quite right.

The repair does NOT do anything about the tank leaking.

As a result, the dishwasher is now very noisy, so much so that I've
already ordered new insulation for the door to replace what they
removed, recall or no recall. GE refuses to return the unit to its
original condition.

We are never buying GE again.

[*] They install a tiny paper napkin thing so that technically they
can claim it was "replaced".