Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default How hot is too hot? How cold is too cold?

Peter Huebner wrote:
In article ,
says...
Careful with the coffee, or cola, or anything with caffeine.
Caffeine is a diuretic--drinking cola or coffee can make you _more_
dehydrated.

That's a rumor that has been debunked. Yes, coffee is a duretic and
makes you pee more, but you still have a net-gain of fluid in your
system, you may just have to drink more often to keep it topped
up. It's not like I am a 37 cups a day man, you know.
Dunno about coke, I don't do fizzy soft-drinks.

If you check the source for the "debunking" you'll find that he doesn't
say that it's a "rumor" or that it has been "debunked"--what he does say
is that in certain circumstances 4 or fewer cups of coffee per day won't
result in chronic dehydration in a healthy person who is consuming a
balanced diet.

There's also the little issue that his study was funded by the National
Coffee Foundation and the one that he seems to be the _only_ researcher
finding evidence to support this contention.

Do what you want to but you're the one having the problems with heat.

Since I bin heat sensitive like that for 40 years that I _recall_, I
don't think I am about to break out with MS, but we have a friend who
has it so I know what to look out for. That "imagine you're lying on
a beach" thing that someone suggested, got a grin on my face: I last
about 3 minutes on that beach before I either go for a dive or seek
some deep deep shade. Doh!

cheers, -P.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate