Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.hvac
mm mm is offline

Default A/C working properly? Cost - lower temp?

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 01:13:10 -0700, wrote:

On Jul 7, 3:12 am, mm wrote:
On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:47:19 -0700, wrote:
On Jul 6, 7:45 pm, "Don K" wrote:

Running for hours could mean anything more than one hour. There's not
much information there. Let it run overnight. If it can't bring the apartment
down to temperature overnight, then there's something definitely wrong
with it.

Don

It's been running non-stop since 12:00 PM, it's 7:46PM, and the temp
is still 83 deg, thermostat still at 80 deg. I would not have said
"hours" if it wasn't...

You missed his point, that hours can mean 2 or 200. So we don't know
your personality and what you would have said it if, in your opinion,
it wasn't, and even if you would not have said "hours" if it wasn't,
we still didn't know how many hours. You could have said 7 hours and
that would have been clear.

Don't be snotty, especially when you're asking for free advice.

Is there any chance the fan is on ON, and the thermostat is not
accurate? Turn the thermostat down to 70 and see if goes lower than
it is now.

Also check the outside unit and see if it is making noise, and see if
you can tell if the noise is the fan and the compressor, or just the
fan.

You've got to be kidding.

No I"m not. Plenty of idiots post here. How do we tell who is an
idiot and who isn't? Even half or more of the seemingly smart people
fail to give enough information in their first post. EVen things they
already know.

We had one a couple days ago who dribbled out the important
information a little at a time until most people had I'm sure stopped
reading the thread before all the important facts were in.

Enough "hours" that any human who has ever
used A/C would recognize that there's a problem.

And did you say that you had ever used AC before?

And again, you hadn't said how many hours. We can't read your mind.

What you think that any buman (who has ever used AC) would recognize
might well not be what someone else thinks.

Here's what he
said:
"Running for hours could mean anything more than one hour. There's
not much information there. Let it run overnight. If it can't bring
the apartment down to temperature overnight, then there's something
definitely wrong with it."

Gee, do you really think there's something wrong if it can't get down
to 80 deg overnight??? (It would do that with open windows and no A/
C.) I think I was more than polite.

You were no way "more than polite". I think you were less than polite.
You told him how many hours and then said "I would not have said
"hours" if it wasn't..." as though he is supposed to know you
personally and know you how reliably you report the facts. As if he
had insulted you and you had to make it clear that you didn't deserve
the insult. I woudn't have given the reply he did , but he didn't
insult you. He explained why "hours" wasn't enough, and then he made
a suggestion, to run it overnight, I presume because you first posted
at 7:24PM Eastern Time.

And even if you are 100% reliable, you still don't get it that
different people have different ideas of what is enough time for
things to cool down. It's inevitable that at least a few of them will
think that too little time is enough. How do we know you're not in
that category?

Most people, when they said hours and the other person said, in
whatever words, How many hours?, would just have replied, "Sorry.
Seven."

The fan is on "Auto,"

Good to know.

so as to not recirculate air through vents in a
hot attic when the compressor isn't on.

The reason is fine, but even someone who intends to keep his fan on
Auto, for whatever reason, might accidentally knock it to ON. Or he
might put it to ON for testing and forget that he did so. Just
yesterday someone posted about flipping a switch and not remembering a
that he did. That's why it's important to check.