Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobertL RobertL is offline

Default advice on mounting a big mirror on bathroom wall

On Jul 5, 6:53 pm, Lobster wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
F wrote:
On 05/07/2007 13:43 The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I would definitely rely on glue.

I glued one on in similar circumstances and the adhesive I got from
the glaziers grabbed the mirror almost immediately. There was no need
for any support within a very short time.

I reckon ten to 20 minutes..BUT if its big and heavy thats long enough
to slide crooked..hence shove a batten under.

It sets off hard overnight, on plaster anyway. Guess it takes a week or
two to go full strength.

I put up a big mirror recently - nearly as big as the OP's - and used
mirror adhesive from Screwfix. The instructions advised IIRC something
like running 7-10mm diameter beads of adhesive vertically down the
mirror at 10cm intervals; doing that used up 3 tubes of the stuff. I
had previously screwed a temporary batten to the wall for it to sit on.

Instructions said to ensure the mirror wasn't less than 5mm (?) from the
wall, to ensure there's enough adhesive in the gap to do the job, and/or
to ensure enough airlow for it to cure. So I stuck a number of bits of
5mm packing all over the wall where the mirror would hang, so I could
press the mirror against the wall as hard as I liked without the glue
being extruded too much. I screwed three more temporary wooden
turn-pegs into the wall above the mirror to stop it falling forward.

It also said to leave it something like 48-96 hrs to set until the
support was removed.

All worked fine.

I notice that the instructions (ELCH Pro mirror bonding adhesive)
tell you to remove the polyproylene safety backing from the mirror if
a test shows the glue does not stick to it well enough.

Robert