Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Sanding trim

On Jul 5, 11:47 pm, "jeffc" wrote:
"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
"Bob F" wrote:

I sure wish I could have stopped the people that painted all the trim
in my old house. The little remaining stained wood is way more
attractive than the painted wood.

Me, too! Who gives a crap about "hard to sell"? I'm planning on
leaving my house feet first.

Um, younger people making wise use of their home as an investment as well?
People who are flipping houses? People who will only be in the house for a
few years? What's going on with you people, are you all 80 years old?

People that disagree with your taste, or more accurately, lack of it,
are necessarily old? Interesting concept - dimwitted, but
interesting.

Your estimate of 5 or 10 thousand feet of trim in a good sized house
is way on the high side, as is your obviously gross exaggeration of
the amount of time it would take to scuff sand trim. You also seem to
be projecting your tastes onto other people, which is a common
occurrence in people new to real estate sales. It's not about you and
your ego. It's about the buyer. Making a statement that stained/
natural wood trim and doors is hindering the sale of a house is
absurd. Badly done anything is what hinders the sale of a house.
Your reasoning regarding semi gloss white being the norm in your area
dictating what you should do is faulty. If you ask anyone with real
estate experience - watching flipping shows on TV doesn't count -
making your house stand out in a good way is what sells a house -
wherever you are.

Stained/natural finishing costs more than painting. It's tougher to
get it right. If it's badly done, that's another animal entirely, but
you didn't mention the quality being poor. If the quality is
reasonable, you are downgrading the house by painting. You will
_never_ see a house listing indicate "painted trim", but you will
certainly see "natural wood" and "stained {insert wood species here}
trim" in listings. These are selling points. That's why they put
them in the listings.

You should really learn this stuff before you start mucking up
buildings. It has nothing to do with young/old. It's more of a
question of dumb/smart - and you've already weighed in.