Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default My central a/c won't work:(!!! HOT IN TEXAS!

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:
"CJT" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
.. .

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote:

Assuming you've checked the obvious circuit breaker/fuse

condition:

If the compressor is not running, the most common cause is a
defective* relay/solenoid. This can be fixed/replaced by a
moderately handy handyperson.

If the compressor IS running, the solution is beyond the scope

of

the

average homeowner.

---
*The relay could be fried or not making good contact.

I see this is over your 'scope' as she said the outdoor fan is
running.

What's that got to do with anything? Evidently you don't realize

that

the

compressor and the fan are two independent devices. One can run

without

the

other.

They both get their power from the same contactor!

... but don't necessarily use both halves.

They're both 240 volt products... both halves are needed for

operation!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's probably, but not necessarily true.

Why isn't it?

Just how many air conditioners do you service on a daily basis?

You've never heard of a 120V motor?

How many have you come across on a residential spilt air conditioning
condenser?

That's why I said "probably."

Why did you reply on something that you have limited knowledge?

I suppose you claim you've seen every AC unit ever made? You know there
are places in this country that only have 120V, or even have DC power
distribution?