Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Reactor Reactor is offline

Default TV Repair

Hi all,

I have a 20" or so RCA / Thompson TV that is 12 years old. It appears that
the tuner is flaking out for some reason or another; the picture on pretty
much all channels is snowy to unviewable. It has sentimental value so I'd
like to get it working.

If I put some downward pressure on the F-connecor on the tuner, it
frequently will clear the picture up almost completely, for anywhere from a
few seconds to a few days. Then it's back to a bad picture.

I know the problem is not in the cable A) between the set and the wall and
B) between the wall and my splitter in the basement, as I have moved the TV
to a completely different location, used completely different cables, and
the behavior is the same.

My first thought is that the solder connections on the tuner, which appears
to be about the size of a box of matches, need to be reflowed.

My questions a

Do you agree that the reflowing of the solder joints *might* fix the
problem, and

Can I buy just the tuner module for this chassis, or do I need to by an
entire main board?

Where can I buy these parts on line?

Thanks!!