Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TV Repair

Hi all,

I have a 20" or so RCA / Thompson TV that is 12 years old. It appears that
the tuner is flaking out for some reason or another; the picture on pretty
much all channels is snowy to unviewable. It has sentimental value so I'd
like to get it working.

If I put some downward pressure on the F-connecor on the tuner, it
frequently will clear the picture up almost completely, for anywhere from a
few seconds to a few days. Then it's back to a bad picture.

I know the problem is not in the cable A) between the set and the wall and
B) between the wall and my splitter in the basement, as I have moved the TV
to a completely different location, used completely different cables, and
the behavior is the same.

My first thought is that the solder connections on the tuner, which appears
to be about the size of a box of matches, need to be reflowed.

My questions a

Do you agree that the reflowing of the solder joints *might* fix the
problem, and

Can I buy just the tuner module for this chassis, or do I need to by an
entire main board?

Where can I buy these parts on line?

Thanks!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
"Reactor" bruce.gettel-at-myactv.net wrote:

Do you agree that the reflowing of the solder joints *might* fix the
problem

I'd give it a 99% chance.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Reactor" bruce.gettel-at-myactv.net ha scritto nel messaggio
Do you agree that the reflowing of the solder joints *might* fix the
problem, and

99,9% it will....
unsolder the tuner box, then open it and resolder everything that seems
loosen
inside (it's better not to resolder SMDs)

Can I buy just the tuner module for this chassis, or do I need to by an
entire main board?

Where can I buy these parts on line?

Thanks!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Is this a Chassis # ctc175 thru 187? If it is, do a google search on the
chassis #/tuner grounds. Lot of info out there, the tuner is built in so
cant replace it. not too hard to repair if you can solder pretty good
Charlie

"Reactor" bruce.gettel-at-myactv.net wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Wow, thanks for all the responses . . . . I'll get the soldering gun out
this weekend and let you know if I get it working.

BTW, just kidding - - I'll use a soldering iron. . . .

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You can try to re-solder the connections in the area where the feed goes in
to the tuner.

If you start re-soldering everything in the tuner, there is a chance you can
de-tune it. The circuits in the tuner are very critical.

You may be able to order a new module from any of the authorized parts
distributor for RCA parts. If the set is more than about 5 years old, the
tuner may not be available.

--

JANA
_____

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

jana wrote :

If you start re-soldering everything in the tuner, there is a chance you
can
de-tune it. The circuits in the tuner are very critical.

LMAO @ that ... "" BS cough "" bs ive done more than 100 tuners on
rca's and ive never "detuned" a tuner