Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Neillarson Neillarson is offline

Default Faceplate mounting Problems

On Jul 5, 10:18 am, Harry Pye wrote:
Neillarson wrote:
I have been using my 3" Face Plate with a round turned 1.5 inch piece
of maple for a mounting block. on the first one, I had a fine mist of
CA flying, second I clamped and let dry overnight but I stall had a
wood frisbee about 2/3 of the way through the bowl.

Make sure both surfaces to be glued are flat. You need some surface area
for a solid joint.

Second, put thick CA on one piece and accelerator on the other. This
will assure the joint is cured completely. (Hopefully)

Flat Surfaces - I thought of that after I posted, I am going to try a
platter tonight, I will face joint them first. I normally do not and
that may be where the issue is coming from.

As far as accelerator, I don't have any nor have I ever used it. Is it
readily available? where can I get it. My glues are from Penn, I would
imagine they have the accelorator but woill take a week to get it.
Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and do that and wait.

Thanks.