Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] mjmwallace@gmail.com is offline

Default How hot is too hot? How cold is too cold?

Wayne,

Was listening to a show today about dehydration and the expert
said that you should drink 20 oz of water BEFORE you
go and work/exercise in the heat (here it means above 90 degrees).
The body takes about 20 minutes to absorb the water. Also
water in any form - coffee, tea is fine, but not soft drinks.
Electrolyte
liquids like Gaterade are also good.

Also, keep drinking. dehydration crepts up on you. I remember
last year I was helping a friend with his massive shed , I kept
drinking some water and and after about 2 hrs I was l feeling
lousy (headache, "loopy"). I was
having some water problems for sure. Sat down, kept drinking water
and in about 20 minutes or more, things got back to normal. Temp
that day was about 100 and we were standing on a concrete pad
which meant that it had to be hotter than that. Should have had 10 oz
of
water every 15 minutes.

As far shop work - I'd say - if you need to work in the heat (90
degrees, 40%
humidity or greater) - get a fan or cooler (air or swamp). I leave
when the sun hits the
shop directly which is late afternoon around 4:30 or so. Also my
shop is insulated which also helps.

Stay cool and healthy!

MJ Wallace