Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:05:33 +0100, Paul Burke
wrote:

Spurious Response wrote:

If you paid California electric rates, you wouldn't use it very many
times a year.

Apart from the fact that the energy used in a more powerful kettle is
slightly less, the rates in California appear to be about 12-15c/kWhr,
compared with my UK rate of 9p (~18c). The big difference in costs here
is that the climate is such that we don't need (and most of us don't
have) air- conditioning.

Paul Burke

We pay a sliding scale for electricity here in San Francisco, from
about 10 cents to as much as 22, nonlinear on consumption, to
encourage saving. But we gat our heat and cooking from natural gas,
and don't have a/c. At 7 AM, July 5, the forced-air heat is on. We pay
more for gas than for electricity, maybe $200 a month total for both.

John