Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

Wolfi wrote:

Am 02.07.07 21.35 schrieb John Larkin:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:07:39 -0700, Spurious Response
wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 01:16:30 -0500, Wolfi wrote:

2 and 3 prong plugs and
receptacles not having strain relief... they don't need it. If one
remains within the specs for their use, the outlet/plug combo never sees
any particularly high mechanical stresses placed on it.
Having seen plenty of badly bent contact blades on vacuum, TV set, computer &
monitor, power drill and other shop devices' power cords, I strongly disagree.

What part of "if one remains within the specs for their use..." do you
not understand?

If it's bent so much that it's hard to plug in, just bend it back. No
big deal.

Oh yes, it easily becomes a big deal as in case of an electric floor heater.
Some moron in the past had moved it around so violently while being plugged
in, that both contacts had been bent to at least 45° off direction befor it
came out of the socket and when I tried to put them straight again, one of
them broke off. I had quite a hard time to find a screw on replacement plug.

Would you rather the plug held, and damaged the cable, so it caught on
fire when you tried to use it? It did what it was supposed to do.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida