michael

Default China is buying alot of scrap steel, will this be a problem?

"Walt" wrote in message ...
I was talking to a couple today that own a scrap business. They deal in
paper, plastic and steel. We got on the subject of scrap steel and the high
prices we are seeing today. We also talked about China buying alot of scrap
steel. They said that because the US doesn't make as much steel for products
as we used to (using more plastics instead) that if a need for a large
quantity of steel were needed (in case of a major war) that China would name
their price and we would have to buy it because we simply do not have it.
How real would something like this scenerio be? I'm putting all political
bias to the wayside, plain and simple, are we setting ourselves up for a
major screwing in the long run?
They also said the grade of steel coming out of China is good, they used to
have very poor steel but they're quality is far better than the past.

walt

This is nothing new. China and Asia have been buying scrap steel from
the U.S.
for decades. The funny thing about it is that we buy it back as new
steel.
The steel from the World Trade Center went to Malaysia which is a
islamic
extramist country. If we get into a major war what is the odds of it
being with China. I say pretty good.
michael