Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Internal wiring of USA v UK mains plug

John Larkin wrote:

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 00:32:33 +0000 (UTC), bz
wrote:

jakdedert wrote in
:

bz wrote:
jakdedert wrote in news:e6yhi.8611$09.1625
@bignews8.bellsouth.net:

In some cases it was possible to easily rewired with grounded 12/2
romex from the breaker box. In others, where that was not practical,
the two-prongers were replaced with new outlets--also two prong.

These are still available and should be used if upgrading to a
properly grounded outlet is not done.

If an earth ground is not available, a GFI outlet should be installed
at the beginning of the run and 3 prong outlets along the rest of the
run.

The GFI will trip if a ground fault is present.

The outlets should be marked to indicate that a GFI is installed and
that no earth ground is present.

I believe that this is much safer than using 2 prong outlets and meets
code.

Yes it is, and I'm perfectly aware of the fact. OTOH, replacing with
original equipment is far more responsible than doing what most people
do: replacing with a three prong outlet and either leaving the ground to
float...or worse yet, bonding ground to neutral.

Eventually, all those two-blade outlets will be rewired properly, with
new circuits added. I've done about 25% of the house so far, but it's
slow going....

Understood. I spent quite a bit of time putting GFI's in a house we bought
and are renting out. It was built in the late 40's and expanded several
times, some grounded outlets were installed but grounds were missing on
several. Older parts of the house are on an aux breaker box.

Figuring out what fed what was fun.

Why don't houses come with schematics?

John

A lot of electricians can't read or write very well? Several times I
was called to straighten out wiring they couldn't figure out. For
instance, five overhead wires between a house and a garage, all solid
black plastic. Neutral, two Line connections, and a three way, outdoor
light with switches in the house and garage. They were dropped to
install vinyl siding, then they couldn't figure out how to reconnect the
wires. The sad part was the insulators were in a straight line at each
end, and none of the wires crossed another so it was obvious what was
wrong.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell