Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Ron Anderson Ron Anderson is offline

Default A Sewing Machine For The Workshop

Actually not uncommon at all for industrial machines, I can think of several
off the top of my head, the 111W and it clones , Singer 241/251, 245, Union
special 64000, most any industrial overlock, etc.

--
Ron Anderson A1 Sewing Machine
PO Box 60, Sand Lake, NY 12153
"Hunter" wrote in message
. net...

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message
. net...

| The stitch length IS adjustable, but not while the machine is running,
and
not
| easily done with a heavy load of fabric on the bed. To change the
stitch
length
| you have to have the machine at a very specific point on it's rotation,
then
| press a button on the bed of the machine and turn the hand wheel until
the
| number of stitches per inch appears in a hole on the front of the
machine.
| think I might try the other technique of trying to slow the fabric so
the
| stitches are closer together. Hadn't thought of that one.
|
| Wayne

That sounds weird! What kind of sewing machine do you have? I've owned
various types of sewing machines in the past and presently, I still keep
12
vintage machines in my collections( Pfaff, Elna, Necchi, Singer, Viking ).
None of them have to be stopped to adjust the stitch length. All of them
have infinitely variable stitch length( up to the max length) adjustments
that can be done even when running at full speed.
If you want a simple machine that would last for many generations that
could
do all you wanted to do as have been discussed here, I recommend a Pfaff
138. It is a real industrial machine for heavy duty work built like a tank
with adjustable stitch length, zigzag, reverse and a very convenient
knee-operated foot lever to raise the sewing foot. It's very simple to
maintain or adjust and the design is straightforward for any mechanically
inclined person to understand.
The older Consew machines are good choices too.