Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default Finish Wiring Home for Internet

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 22:08:12 -0000, Kbalz
wrote:

I just bought a house, its wiring for cable/internet in each bedroom.
However, in the basement, there is a large trunk of un-terminated
wires, so its not 100% ready.

I need to know exactly how to finish this wiring please!

2nd floor - Office. This room has a female CAT 5 jack built in the
wall. The cord in the basement has no end on it. I've already toned
which wire it is. The cable internet also was hooked to this room (by
isp). So this room has 2 PCs, Router, Cable Modem, and the un-used
cat5 port in the wall. Both PCs are online already.

1st floor - Living Room - Also an unused CAT5 jack built in the wall.
I've toned the cord to the basement, it also has a clean cut end.

Basement - The trunk of cords comes down here.

I have a really old Lynsys "hub" its an old loooking device, has
Collision lights on it .. I doubt its a router or a switch.

Here is what I was guessing:

Male-to-Male plug from router to 2nd floor wall jack. Terminate both
basement cords with female ends (not sure what config to use "A" or
"B").. Take those new female ends, and male-to-male from them to this
hub I have. Then male-to-male from my xbox to the 1st floor wall
jack..

Is that right? What config to I use on the basement females? Is there
any way to just slam these two basement cords together? Any help,
thanks!

It sounds like you have the same setup as I have.

I put a shelf in the basement for my cable modem (sounds like what you
have). Then I took a cat5 and ran it to all computer locations from
the shelf.

I didn't like my modem being in the basement because I could not reset
it or see the lights so I moved it to my main computer location. (Your
office 2)

Use the cat 5 in office 2 and plug it into one port on the router.
This will be the feed for your hub. Take your hub (repeater) and put
it in the basement and plug everything down there in the hub.

There are two types of Cat 5 connections. 568A and 568B You need to
find out what type you have at the wall jacks. Either one works but
you should match your existing setup.

You can either put a patch panel (female) in the basement (and use
jumpers male/male) or just put RJ-45s (male) directly on the ends of
the basement cables. The hub is female.

http://www.9thtee.com/networkingts.htm